Behrent Engineering was contracted to do the Power Distribution Engineering and the Installation Engineering for a 6000 TPD cement plant expansion project in Midlothian Texas. Behrent designed a system that would supply power to the various loads in each departmental area of the plant. The system was engineered to provide low initial cost, low operating cost, and safety for personnel and equipment. The following engineering services were provided:
- Coordinated with the local utility company and obtained necessary system requirements.
- Investigated and analyzed the existing electric system.
- Prepared one-line drawings showing the major parts of the 5 kV and 480 volt distribution system.
- Prepared 5 kV detailed one-line diagrams showing the components with their ratings, metering, and protective devices.
- Prepared 480 volt MCC detailed one-line diagrams showing the components with their ratings, metering, and protective devices.
- Prepared the power distribution equipment contract material bill listing the equipment to be supplied.
- Prepared the power distribution equipment specifications for major equipment. The specifications consisted of equipment description, ratings, sizing, and quantities.
- Provided a short circuit study with calculations of data for normal and abnormal operation of the system taking into account all likely combinations of service to the plant.
- Performed motor starting voltage drop studies to help determine the best method of reducing KVA starting for some of its large motors.