In anticipation of a sodium bicarbonate plant expansion in Rifle, Colorado, Beherent Engineering was contracted to upgrade the existing plant boiler capacity. The plant had one CB700‐2200 boiler for train #2 and two CB100‐800 boilers for train #1
The project was constructed in two phases. The first phase was the installation of the boiler in the open space between train #2 boiler and the two boilers for train #1. After the completion of the first phase, the second phase of construction was started.
The second phase was the demolition of the two existing boilers for train #1, demolition of the building and foundations for the two train #1 boilers, the construction of new concrete foundations for the new train #1 boiler/building enclosure and the erection of a new building enclosure over train #1 boiler and the boiler in the open space between train #1 boiler and train #2 boiler.
Behrent provided the engineering and design services for the following tasks:
- 3D laser scanning was performed to develop an AutoCAD 3D model of the work area.
- Developed conceptual layouts to determine the location of train #3 boiler for client approval.
- Developed conceptual layouts for the new boiler for train #1, showing location of boiler, access and new building enclosure around train #1 and train #3 boilers for client approval.
- Provided a preliminary update of the P&ID for the addition of the new boilers.
- Determined steam piping changes/modifications necessary for the addition of train #3 boiler and train #1 boiler
- Provided preliminary updates of existing electrical single lines for new boiler loads
- Prepared Final Engineering scope of work