Behrent Engineering was contracted to provide engineering, design and consulting services for the construction of a new kiln feed silo at the Apple Valley, California Black Mountain Quarry Plant.
The main objectives of this system were as follows:
- Increase the raw meal storage capacity by adding a new kiln feed silo ES-4 near the existing ES-3 kiln feed silo.
- Have parallel raw meal streams from the raw meal circuit feeding both the existing kiln feed silo ES-3 and the new kiln feed silo ES-4.
- Provide adequate dust collection systems.
- Provide particulate offsets by paving around the silo area.
- Design the system to minimize maintenance requirements and maximize availability.
- Integrate the new kiln feed silo into the existing plant HMI and PLC control system.
Behrent Engineering provided a complete design package including civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, process control, scheduling and procurement. Behrent engineers were also onsite during the construction phase to help support the Owners project team.